Planning Your Family Vacation to Steamboat Springs
Welcome to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. This enchanting mountainside town captivates families with endless outdoor adventures and old school Western charm. Renowned for its world-class skiing, picturesque hiking trails, and hot springs (that are even hot in the snow), this idyllic destination is the perfect place to make unforgettable family memories.
However, when it comes to your family vacation, we’re sure you’d rather forget the planning process. It’s all well and good looking back on the memories of rosy-cheeked children playing in the snow, but too often those memories are clouded by a haze of planning-induced stress.
But why is vacation planning so difficult?
- High Expectations – it’s a challenge to find activities, amenities, and personalized services that live up to your family’s high standards. How many times have you had to sacrifice your comfort and preferences, in the name of a vacation?
- Travel Logistics – You just want to get from A to B, but arranging flights and deciding your driving route is taking up all of your planning time.
- Not Knowing What to Pack – without knowing the intimate details of a location, it’s almost impossible to decide what to put in your suitcase. Underpacking results in regret, and missing out on your desired activities because you don’t have the right attire or equipment. Overpacking results in endless clutter, aching bodies from hauling heavy luggage around, and no room for souvenirs.
- Unfamiliar Accommodation – we know you’ve got a story about a disappointing hotel, where the interiors were uncomfortable and the service was sub-par. We’re certain you’ve agonized over the maintenance of a vacation home, where you’ve spent more time changing light bulbs than adventuring with your family. Your accommodation choice can make or break your family’s vacation experience.
Take a deep breath, friend. We’re here to help.
Here at The Astrid, we’re committed to creating slopeside magic for your family, without the usual stresses of vacation planning. Everything we do is designed with ease of living in mind.
That’s why we’ve created this guide to help you plan your next vacation to Steamboat Springs in only one hour.
Minutes 0 – 10: Plan Your Travel to Steamboat Springs
It’s important that you make the right travel choices for your family, to ensure a timely and comfortable experience to and from Steamboat Springs. It’s a detail that will take up so little of your vacation, but has the power to set the tone of the entire trip!
Airports in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat Springs features two fantastic airports with regular flights every day of the year.
- Commercial Flights – Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) is located a short 30 minute drive from Steamboat Springs. The airport is famous for the Hayden Heritage Center’s display in baggage claim, showcasing artifacts from the Yampa Valley’s lively Western history.
- Private Flights – If you prefer the flexibility of private travel, Steamboat Springs Airport/Bob Adams Field (SBS) is available for private flights. Conveniently located 2.5 miles north of downtown Steamboat Springs, SBS is an exceptional destination for private airplanes.
Driving to Steamboat Springs
Driving to Steamboat is the closest thing you’ll get to a wildlife safari this side of the Rocky Mountains. Children will enjoy spotting elk, mountain goats, bighorn sheep, eagles, and deer as you pass through majestic mountain landscapes. Be sure to look out for the historic F.M Light and Sons yellow signs along every highway surrounding Steamboat.
Traveling around Steamboat Springs
There are a range of fantastic travel options once you’ve landed in Steamboat, which are guaranteed to take the stress out of getting to your family’s favorite activities.
- Free Bus Service – The City of Steamboat Springs offers a comprehensive system of free bus transportation between the ski area and downtown, as well as most restaurants, grocery stores, and entertainment locations.
- Taxi Service – Uber and Lyft are not particularly reliable in Steamboat, so we recommend contacting Steamboat Express for rates and to schedule a pickup time.
- Chauffeured vehicles – For families looking for a relaxing and flexible private travel choice, we recommend Ski Town Transportation or Rocky Mountain Chauffeurs.
- Personal vehicles – For residents who love the control and familiarity of their own personal car, each one of The Astrid’s residences include a private parking spot so that you’ll never be left racing with your neighbors to get the last available space.
Minutes 10 – 40: Plan Your Family Activities in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat offers a plethora of engaging family activities all year round. No matter if the mountains are covered in snow, or the lakes are glistening in blazing sunshine, your family is guaranteed a good time. As the locals say, ‘come for the winters, stay for the summers!’
This is the most time-intensive part of planning your family vacation in Steamboat Springs, so we’ve made choosing activities simple. Scroll to which season you’ll be visiting in, and select from the activities suggested.
Winter Activities in Steamboat Springs
- Snowsports – From November through March, Steamboat transforms into a world-class ski resort with plenty of kid-friendly slopes. Don’t forget to book your lift tickets seven days in advance – kids travel on the ski lift for free!
- Hot Springs – A winter visit to Steamboat Springs isn’t complete without taking a dip in a steaming natural hot spring. For a family-friendly day of fun, complete with childcare and waterslides, visit Old Town Hot Springs. Even in the winter, with ice and snow all around, the temperature of these hot springs sit at around 101°F to 106°F.
- Ice Fishing – An all-age outdoor adventure like no other! Your friendly guide will facilitate a fun and distraction-free ice fishing experience, guaranteeing that you’ll catch a fish on the expansive Stagecoach Marina.
- Meet Santa – You may think he travels by sleigh, but when Santa visits Steamboat Springs, he rides on horseback! Every year in mid-December, the jolly man in red processes down the slopes towards the Steamboat Stage, where he is available to chat and take photos with guests.
Spring Activities in Steamboat Springs
- Hiking – Scenic hiking trails can be found all throughout Colorado, with Steamboat Springs boasting a great number of trails perfect for beginners up to advanced peak-baggers.
- Biking – As Steamboat’s meadows bloom with a rainbow of flowers, spring is a fantastic time to rent a bike from Steamboat Ski & Bike Kare. Be sure to hire a trailer or tag-along for your youngest biking companions!
- Shopping – Head downtown to visit one of the kid-friendly boutique shops in Steamboat Springs.
Summer Activities in Steamboat Springs
- Tubing – Cool off with a relaxing float down the Yampa River on a donut-shaped inner tube. Just down 13th street bridge is a secluded swimming area named the Yampa River’s D-Hole, which is a wonderful spot for slow-paced tubing.
- Paddle Boarding – Bask in the summer sun as you gently paddleboard on Stagecoach Reservoir, Steamboat Lake, or down the Yampa River. First-timers will benefit from a private lesson with Mountain Sports Kayak School to feel fully confident.
- Alpine Slide – Experience 2,400ft of pure exhilaration as you and your young companions zoom down the Howler Alpine Slide.
- Fly Fishing – Anglers of all abilities will enjoy the clear visibility and steady currents available here in Steamboat Springs. Start your fishing adventure at one of the remarkable hidden gem locations, or book a guided fishing expedition.
Fall Activities in Steamboats Springs
- Helicopter rides – As Steamboat’s aspens paint the landscape with remarkable golden hues, there’s no better time of year for an atmospheric helicopter ride across the Steamboat skyline.
- Horseback riding – With a long standing history of rodeos and working cowboys, Steamboat invites travelers to embrace its Western roots with exclusive horseback riding experiences.
- Tennis – The Steamboat Tennis and Pickleball Center is well-known for their exceptional amenities, fantastic recreational and training programs, and strong relationships with the community.
Minutes 40 – 55: Decide on Your Clothing and Gear
As Steamboat Springs experiences all four seasons in full force, it’s important that you select the right clothing, gear, and equipment for your trip.
Have a think about the activities you selected, and the season you’ll be visiting Steamboat Springs in. Then comes a big decision to make – bring old, buy new, or hire gear?
We can’t make that decision for you, but we can make your decision easier:
- “I want to bring my tried and true gear.” For visitors who’ve already invested in fantastic sports equipment and clothing, reserve hassle-free shipping of your belongings with Rocket Closet.
- “I want to purchase new top-of-the-range gear.” Steamboat is home to a number of fantastic sports gear stores, with the remarkable Switchback Sports standing out as the most luxurious choice available. This fantastic establishment offers everything your family needs for mountainside fun, from high-end ski clothing, to state-of-the-art mountain biking equipment.
- “I want more room in my suitcase for souvenirs!” For visitors who don’t want to haul new gear back home, Switchback Sports offer a range of exclusive rental packages.
Minutes 55 – 60: Accommodation in Steamboat Springs
The top of many people’s minds, but the last on our list. We think that booking accommodation should be as easy as simply showing up on the doorstep.
Here at The Astrid, we believe that your accommodation in Steamboat Springs should be:
- Luxurious: An atmosphere of pure relaxation, where you can indulge yourself in active outdoor pursuits, and create unforgettable experiences with the people closest to you.
- Convenient: A space where you can provide your loved ones with a vacation home that’s the epitome of tranquility. Property upkeep should be the last thing on your mind.
- Personalized: A bespoke, carefully crafted experience that ensures that your family’s legacy thrives through happy memories, shared experiences, and a sense of team spirit.
Myles and Terrell Sherman, the trailblazers behind The Astrid’s community, realized that Steamboat Springs needed luxurious private residences within a welcoming residential community, enabling the most discerning vacation-goers to experience year-round adventures in Steamboat Springs.
Why? Because families like yours keep coming back to Steamboat Springs.
Year after year, season after season, this charming town tucked away in the Rocky Mountains has a powerful pull on everyone who visits. The Astrid makes it possible for you to return as often as you like to the town that’s sure to capture your family’s hearts.
A Community For People Like You
The Astrid is not only an impressive condominium of unprecedented luxury, it’s a community of like-minded adventurers seeking to build a legacy for their family that extends beyond their lifetime.
Community living starts long before you decide to purchase a residence, with our fully bespoke email experience. When we say bespoke, we mean it.
To join our community, simply provide us with your name and email address. By doing so, you’ll be invited to join our exclusive mailing list. As part of this list you’ll gain access to insider information, behind-the-scenes content, and a highly personalized email experience reserved only for members of The Astrid community.