Making Magical Christmas Memories in Colorado
We hear that you’re dreaming of Christmas 2024 already! You’re in good company.
Here, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, we get in the holiday spirit the moment the snow hits the ground in November. As the days get shorter and twinkling lights are hung on every building, the families of Colorado truly embody the joy of the festive season.
Every December, one particular ski town transforms into an enchanting festive haven. With old school Christmas celebrations, luxurious outdoor activities, and regular visits from the man in red himself, Steamboat Springs is the epitome of childhood Christmas magic.
We have it on good authority that if Santa didn’t live in the North Pole, a home in Steamboat Springs would be his next choice!
So, pour yourself a mug of steaming hot chocolate, and relax as we begin the planning process for your festive celebrations in 2024.
Winter Outdoor Activities for Kids
Magical outdoor activities aren’t hard to come by in Steamboat Springs – the whole resort is built around them! Steamboat Resort’s famous Champagne Powder® snow, which is considered by many to be perfect snow for learning to ski, makes this the ideal location for introducing young guests to winter sports.
Who knows? They could be a winter Olympian in the making!
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Kids can ride the ski lift for free with every adult ticket, which means you and your little snow shredders can make the most of Steamboat’s plethora of green runs.
- Ice skating: Twirl, glide, and enjoy the mountain views from Skeeters Ice Rink! Ice skates are available to rent, or bring your own and enter the rink for free! For the very smallest members of your family, baby sleds are available to hire.
- Dog Sledding: Enjoy a once-in-a-lifetime Christmas experience with your little ones as you mush your own dog team with Grizzle-T Dog & Sled Works.
- Water Sports: Steamboat is home to a number of hot springs that are hot all year long! Old Town Hot Springs offers an exciting family-friendly outdoor swimming experience, with two 230-foot long water slides that are open all year round. Yes, even in the snow!
- Snow Tubing: For the kids who love an adrenaline rush, zooming down a hill on an inflatable ring will be the ultimate Christmas treat! Reserve your ticket for snow tubing at Saddleback Ranch well in advance, as slots book up quickly.
Where to See Christmas Lights in Steamboat Springs
It’s not Christmas without a trip out to see the local light displays, right?
We recommend making your way to downtown Steamboat at sunset, which occurs between 4:40 p.m. and 5:50 p.m. throughout December. Your young guests will be completely enchanted by the twinkling lights strung across just about every building!
Be sure to stop by the Routt County Courthouse lawn which is adorned every year with spectacular, colorful lights. At the center is an enormous Christmas Tree, which remains shining throughout the festive season.
Where to see Santa in Steamboat Springs
You may think Santa travels by sleigh, but when he visits this ranching town he rides on horseback!
Every year in mid-December, the jolly man in red processes down the slopes towards the Steamboat Stage, where he is available to chat and take photos with guests. This event is sure to become a beloved Christmas tradition for your family, and may just be the reason your children ask to return again and again.
What better way to start making memories to be passed down the generations?
Kids Christmas Shopping in Steamboat Springs
Whilst Santa is sure to bring heaps of goodies for your little ones, a little extra Christmas shopping never hurt anyone! You’re bound to find a kid-friendly Christmas treat in one of Steamboat’s variety of independent shops.
- Steamboat Fun and Games: The closest thing you’ll find to Santa’s workshop this side of the Arctic Circle! This colorful store offers everything from nostalgic board games, electronic toys, gifts for babies, and rows upon rows of delightful candy!
- Lake and Company: This socially conscious shop offers a carefully curated selection of children’s clothing and toys that nurture a child’s sense of wonder.
- Ohana: For unique hand-printed kids clothing, look no further than this charming local store that embraces a love for adventure.
Christmas Events in 2024
If you’re anything like us, you love to plan ahead. That’s why we keep The Astrid community up-to-date with the latest events in Steamboat Springs.
We’d hate for your youngest family members to miss out on any Christmas magic, so the moment we hear about events in December 2024, we’ll be sharing them with our community.
To join our community, simply provide us with your name and email address. By doing so, you’ll be invited to join our exclusive mailing list. As part of this list you’ll gain access to insider information, behind-the-scenes content, and a highly personalized email experience reserved only for members of The Astrid community.