What Makes a Christmas Vacation in Colorado so Luxurious?
We hear that you’re dreaming of Christmas 2024 already! You’re in good company.
Here, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains of Colorado, we get in the holiday spirit the moment the snow hits the ground in November. As the days get shorter and twinkling lights are hung on every building, the people of Colorado truly embody the splendor of the festive season.
No place more so than the charming city of Steamboat Springs.
It’s true, this enchanting ski town is more festive than the setting of any Hallmark Christmas movie. With our majestic mountain landscapes, beautiful ski homes, world-class snowsports, and traditional holiday celebrations, Steamboat offers visitors some of the most luxurious activities in Colorado.
It’s never too early to start planning a luxury Christmas vacation in Colorado. So, pour yourself a glass of eggnog (or two) and settle in for the most festive luxury travel guide you’ll read this year.
Travel in Style to Steamboat Springs
Yampa Valley Regional Airport (HDN) is located a short 30 minute drive from Steamboat Springs. This is where your luxury Christmas vacation will truly begin, as this airport subverts normal travel expectations and invites you into an exhibition-style cultural immersion experience right from the start.
Once visitors step off the airplane and walk through the terminal, they’re greeted by a charming gallery of artwork that highlights the wonder of nature in Colorado. Awe-inspiring photos of majestic mountains, golden aspens, and native wildlife adorn the route through the airport. Guests are encouraged to leave their fast-paced way of life on the airplane, and embrace a sense of serenity with each step.
Continuing through to baggage claim, the Hayden Heritage Center’s display showcases artifacts from the Yampa Valley’s lively Western history and is available for everyone to enjoy. After some festive refreshments at the 3 Wire Bar & Grill, and a snoop around the Tailwinds General Store, visitors can choose from a variety of commercial services to transport them into Steamboat Springs.
For visitors who value the flexibility, control, and exclusivity of private travel, Steamboat offers a variety of convenient private travel options.
Reserving Your Place for Exclusive Holiday Activities
During the holiday period, Steamboat Springs is bustling with visitors and excited locals alike. We advise that guests book their festive dining experiences and slopeside activities in advance, to avoid disappointment.
- Ski Lift Tickets: We recommend reserving your lift tickets at least seven days in advance, to guarantee yourself a spot on the slopes. Booking single and multi-day lift tickets is simple on the Steamboat website. A limited number of First Tracks tickets are available to enable keen skiers to be the first on the mountain and enjoy the fresh powder.
- Dining Reservations: Steamboat Springs is considered by many to be the epicenter of fine dining in Colorado. The festive period is when Steamboat’s vibrant culinary scene really shines! Trust us, there’s nothing better than high-end, locally sourced, traditional Western food at Christmastime. We advise that visitors reserve their festive dining slots as far in advance as possible, particularly at popular luxury spots such as Sauvage and Cafe Diva.
- Outdoor Activities: Snowsports aren’t the only thing available to do on the mountain. A plethora of extravagant luxury activities are available to book so that you can make the most of your festive vacation in Colorado. Try your hand at ice fishing, explore a winter wonderland on horseback, or check ‘hot air ballooning’ off of your bucket list.
- Holiday Events: Every year, Steamboat boasts a variety of magical holiday events, perfect for anyone looking to incorporate old school Western fun into their luxury vacation experience. Annual favorites include the Steamboat Holiday Market at the base of Steamboat Resort, the Holiday Skate Party at Skeeter’s Rink, and the spectacular New Years Eve Fireworks and Light Up Snow Cat Parade on Mount Werner. Whilst some events are ticketed, many are not. Be sure to keep up to date with Steamboat events so that you can avoid the crowds and enjoy the holiday fun.
What to Bring on Your Luxurious Festive Vacation
Whether you’re a chronic-over-packer, or a bare-essentials-explorer, deciding what to bring with you on your Christmas vacation can be tough. After exploring Steamboat’s plethora of boutique shops, you’ll probably need a new suitcase anyway!
- Snowsports Gear Shipping: For visitors who’ve already invested in fantastic snowsports equipment and clothing, reserve hassle-free shipping of your belongings with Luggage Forward. Steamboat has a longstanding relationship with this shipping company, making it the number one choice for guests to the area.
- Purchasing New Ski Gear: Steamboat is home to a number of fantastic ski gear stores, with the remarkable Switchback Sports standing out as the most luxurious choice available. This fantastic establishment offers everything you need to look and feel your best on the slopes, from high-end ski clothing, to state-of-the-art snowsports equipment. For visitors who don’t want to haul new gear back home, Switchback Sports offer a range of exclusive rental packages. More space in your luggage for holiday gifts!
- Clothing: The average daily temperature in Steamboat Springs, in December, is around 28°F. At night this often drops to a frigid 10.4°F. It’s important that you pack appropriately to stay warm and dry, so that you can enjoy the slopeside festivities to the fullest. You’ll want to leave room in your bags for Christmas gifts, souvenirs, and boutique shopping hauls, so try not to overpack! A trustworthy laundry service is what you need to ensure you’ll have enough clothes for your vacation, whilst leaving enough extra room in your suitcase. We recommend putting Ski Town Cleaners in your phone contacts ASAP. This reliable and personalized service uses environmentally friendly techniques to launder or dry-clean your clothing, leaving it looking pristine and smelling fresh.
A Dog-Friendly Christmas Vacation
It wouldn’t be Christmas without the family pooch! No need to worry about your furry family member receiving sub-par care over the holiday period, because Steamboat Springs is the most luxurious place in Colorado to vacation with man’s best friend.
- Dog Parks: Two expansive dog parks are open to the public, offering spectacular mountain views as you and your pup enjoy a leisurely stroll. Rita Valentine offers acres of open space, perfect for a game of fetch. The delightful Spring Creek Trail features a peaceful dog park about half a mile from the trailhead, making it a great stop-off on a gentle winter hike. Here at The Astrid we will soon feature our own private dog park, exclusively for our luxury ski home residents.
- Off-Leash Areas: Experienced snowshoers will enjoy the chance to let their dogs run around in the powder at one of Steamboat’s three public off-leash areas. Butcherknife Trail, Sailors Way Trail, and Whistler Park provide the ideal space for your pooch to frolic, play, and explore nature. Be sure to look out for the helpful signage regarding off-leash hours.
- Dog-Sitters: For when you want to let your dog relax at home whilst you shred the slopes, we recommend Steamboat Pets for fully customizable pet-sitting services.
- Dog-Friendly Dining: Christmas wouldn’t be complete without a special dining experience suitable for your fluffiest family member. The Snow Bowl Steamboat restaurant and concert venue offer hearty food in a relaxed setting. Every Sunday, the expansive outdoor area is transformed into a pooch-paradise, with kiddie pools, chew toys, and a dog-friendly menu. If you’ve ever wanted to share a vanilla ice cream with your dog, this is the place to do it!
- Nutrition and Gear: Steamboat Springs is home to the very best pet retail store for dog owners looking for gourmet dog food and outdoor products – Outdoor K9. Proper nutrition is essential for dogs engaging in winter sports activities. This remarkable store pushes the limits of dog food, stocking everything from individual duck necks, to luxurious options such as Salmon À La Veg by Fromm Family Pet Food. Kit out your adventure-hound in high-end snow gear, ensuring they’ll be the most stylish (and comfortable) pup on the mountain.
Luxury Holiday Shopping in Steamboat Springs
We recommend setting aside at least one day to explore Steamboat’s array of boutique shops. From handmade clothes, to treasures and trinkets, you’re bound to find something beautiful to gift your loved ones (and maybe a little something for yourself!)
Our favorite luxury stores include:
- Chez Nous – This upscale women’s clothing boutique provides discerning fashion enthusiasts with a collection of designer apparel and accessories to suit every occasion.
- Ohana – For hand printed clothing and home goods, look no further than this charming local brand that exemplifies a love for adventure.
- F M Light & Sons – Known worldwide for their high quality cowboy hats and stylish boots, this historic shop is a must-see for all visitors to Steamboat.
- The Silver Spur – Sarah Buckles creates exquisite bespoke pieces in a variety of metals and precious stones, putting an authentic Western spin on jewelry design.
- Off The Beaten Path – Settle down with a new novel and a festive drink at this quaint independent coffee shop and bookstore.
A Luxurious Christmas Vacation in Colorado
After reading all about luxurious Christmas vacations in Colorado, there’s no doubt that you’ll soon be opening a new tab and Googling ‘flights to Steamboat Springs in December 2024.’
But, before you do, let us extend a festive invitation to join our community of like-minded luxury-lovers. We know you’re hoping that Christmas 2024 will be the most magical one yet, so we’re here to keep you up-to-date on all the latest events, news, and insider info, guaranteed to have you feeling festive all year long!
To join our community, simply provide us with your name and email address. By doing so, you’ll be invited to join our exclusive mailing list. As part of this list you’ll gain access to insider information, behind-the-scenes content, and a highly personalized email experience reserved only for members of The Astrid community.