Magical Vacations in Colorado With a Baby
Imagine a vacation where your youngest companion, less than two years old, giggles on slope sides and breathes in the freshest mountaintop air. Majestic snow-capped peaks backdrop their playtime, whilst cherished moments with parents and grandparents are shared alongside a rushing river.
For the most enthusiastic adventurers, mountainside vacations don’t stop just because you have a baby in tow. In fact, hidden in the Rocky Mountains, is a charming ranching town that many consider to be the most baby-friendly vacation destination in Colorado.
Steamboat Springs welcomes families with babies to enjoy endless adventures, with all the facilities and services a family could need for a smooth and enjoyable vacation. As a functioning town with a welcoming community, the area is known as an ideal all-season vacation destination for families with children. From baby-focussed events, to family-friendly restaurants, our Rocky Mountain home is a paradise for those seeking to make long-lasting memories with their babies or grandbabies.
Here at The Astrid, we like to ensure that family-focussed vacationers, like you, are able to enjoy time with their loved ones without worry. That’s why we’ve curated this guide to exploring Steamboat alongside your littlest adventurer, so that all the information you could need is in one convenient place.
Baby-Friendly Activities in Steamboat Springs
Whilst Steamboat is known for its plethora of luxurious outdoor adventures, the real beauty of this town is found in the delightful activities available to its youngest visitors. Your little explorer, accompanied by adventurous adults, will get to experience all the majesty of a mountainside vacation through a full itinerary of age-appropriate experiences.
- Bud Werner Memorial Library: This bustling community hub offers family-friendly events almost every day of the year. At 10:30 a.m. on Thursdays, the library hosts ‘Babytime’ which is a fantastic opportunity to nurture a special bond with the beloved baby in your life.
- Old Town Hot Springs: This family-friendly natural hot spring is the perfect place for babies to relax and play. As the water in the main pool averages at 98°F, it’s comfortable and safe for little swimmers under two years old.
- Burgess Creek Beach: In the warmer months, families gather at the base of the Steamboat Ski Area to play in the sand and explore enchanting mini waterfalls. Adults can sunbathe on an adirondack chair whilst the babies splash in the cool, clear waters.
- Off The Beaten Path Bookstore: Families can enjoy a quiet hour, coffee in hand, exploring the large selection of gorgeous children’s books and toys on offer at this independent bookstore and cafe.
- Hiking at Fish Creek Falls: For a truly tranquil hike while your tiny adventurer snoozes in their stroller, look no further than Fish Creek Falls. This popular trail is accessible to all, with convenient wheelchair and stroller access on the Overlook Trail.
- The Children’s Garden at Yampa River Botanic Park: Whilst all 40+ gardens within the Botanic Park are navigable for most trail goers using strollers, the specially designed Children’s Garden is a real highlight for young guests. Babies will be enchanted by the tiny children’s library, fairy house, and opportunities to get up-close-and-personal with tiny critters.
- Little Toots Park: This quaint public park features an extensive play area, picnic tables, and plenty of shaded areas for young babies to play.
- Whistler Park: Your baby can enjoy wide open spaces and uninterrupted views of the mountain, whilst exploring a colorful play area.
Baby-Friendly Events in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat Springs is known throughout Colorado as an ideal all-season vacation destination featuring baby-friendly events all year round. Art in the Park is a particular favorite among visitors and locals alike, with a variety of children’s crafts and activities available for under-twos to enjoy.
The Fourth of July Parade at Steamboat is a visual spectacle that any babe-in-arms is bound to enjoy. You and your little companion can expect to see cowboys on horseback, enormous red fire trucks, magnificent dancers, rollerski racing, and a variety of creative performances from members of the local community.
The crowning jewel of family events in Steamboat Springs is Santa Saddles Up – perfect for baby’s first Christmas! As the pinnacle event for a family-friendly Christmas, the local community rounds off the year from a special visit from the man in red. Santa rides into the resort from the Torian Plum Area right down the slopes into the heart of Steamboat Square. Immediately following the ride, Santa will be available on the Steamboat Stage to visit with your young guests and take pictures!
Baby-Friendly Dining in Steamboat Springs
Steamboat’s booming culinary scene features an array of luxurious dining establishments, many of which combine gourmet food with a family-friendly atmosphere. From intimate local bars to sophisticated kitchens, this mountainside oasis is ideal for families with babies seeking a delicious meal together.
- Thunderhead Food Court offers crowd-pleasing lunch choices with breathtaking mountain views, ideal for a quick refresh before heading off on a slopeside adventure.
- The Egg is a charming, family-owned restaurant with a comprehensive kids menu that’s just as delicious (if not, more so) than the adult’s one.
- Freshies is a popular restaurant for all three meals of the day, with a sunny patio perfect for busy toddlers to wander around.
- Taco Cabo provides riverside dining, fresh-baked bread, and Mexican culinary delights within a welcoming atmosphere.
- Timber and Torch is located at the base of the mountain, where families can enjoy al fresco dining and family-friendly live music.
- Winona’s Restaurant and Bakery boasts an extensive kids breakfast and lunch menu, with delicious healthy options in small portions for babies under two.
- The Range Food & Drink Hall is a two story gathering place offering indoor and outdoor seating, and four diverse food vendors all under one roof – perfect for picky eaters!
Childcare for Babies in Steamboat Springs
If you’d like to enjoy one of Steamboat’s bucket-list experiences child-free, you can safely leave your little one in the hands of one of these expert childcare facilities.
- Visitors can enjoy a relaxing massage at Old Town Hot Springs whilst their baby, as young as two months old, enjoys two hours of fun activities in the Childcare Center.
- Kids Garden is a drop-in arts learning center that provides children as young as one year old with the opportunity to explore a variety of creative play areas.
Baby Gear Hire in Steamboat Springs
If lugging your little one’s stroller on an airplane is your idea of a nightmare, look no further than Steamboat’s fantastic baby gear hire options for a hassle-free experience.
- Steamboat Go Baby Go is a family-owned baby gear rental company that conveniently provides everything you need for a peaceful vacation. From cribs to carseats, strollers to toys, monitors to little baby snow sleds, they really do stock everything!
- For your mountain biking expeditions, hire a comfortable baby-sized trailer or tag-along for your bike at Steamboat Ski & Bike Kare.
Family-Friendly Restrooms in Steamboat Springs
No family wants to be caught-out whilst exploring the slopes when a diaper change is needed. That’s why The City of Steamboat Springs offers an extensive list of public restrooms in a variety of locations throughout the resort.
However, sometimes you need a little more space to cater to the needs of your youngest adventurer. That’s why Steamboat Ski Resort offers a private, comfortable family and nursing room, equipped with a chair, fridge, soft lighting, and a changing station. This cozy space is located conveniently in the base area, ensuring that you’ll never be far from your next outdoor expedition!
Baby-Friendly Accommodation in Steamboat Springs
Being away from home with a baby can be a challenging experience. The change in routine and unfamiliar surroundings can prove disruptive for young guests. Here at The Astrid, we exist to help visitors to create a comfortable, home-away-from-home experience where our residents can enjoy all of the day-to-day comforts that their babies are used to. Your homely residence will make for an overall more peaceful and enjoyable vacation experience for families with babies, as you’ll always be able to access everything you need with ease.
If you’ll be accompanied by young guests on your next vacation to Steamboat Springs, we’d love to invite you to join our exclusive community of family-focussed adventurers. As part of our community you’ll be connected to like-minded individuals who are looking to build a legacy for their family in Steamboat.
To join our community, simply provide us with your name and email address. By doing so, you’ll be invited to join our exclusive mailing list. As part of this list you’ll gain access to insider information, behind-the-scenes content, and a highly personalized email experience reserved only for members of The Astrid community.